"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast." - Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The essentials

I ALWAYS over-pack, so packing an entire semester into a suitcase and a carry-on was a huge feat for me. While I have not actually needed each item I brought along, there are several things I am particularly thankful I threw in:


Rain boots. While obviously not necessary, they are great to have as an option because there seems to be a permanent rain cloud that lingers over Europe. And as my mom told me, if your bag is already overweight and you know you will wear them, you might as well throw them in.

Sturdy umbrella. I cannot express how important this is. Do not opt for the small ones with the matching bag that appear to be more convenient because they are cheap, they will break in the wind, and you will have to buy a new one. A durable, neutral colored umbrella with an easy-open button is the best choice.

A purse that zips closed. When it rains, you want at least the contents of your purse to remain dry. That zipper is also necessary in a city of pickpockets (duh). And sometimes you indulge in Belgian waffles, and sometimes whipped cream falls off that waffle into your open purse. I have seen it happen. It is a mess.

Small purse. Clubs and bars will sometimes have you check your jacket and large bag. While small purses will still be inspected, you will not have to check them.

Duffle bag. You will need one to take on weekend trips, or when it is time to go home and you find you have acquired more things than will fit in your suitcase.

Dr. Scholl's shoe inserts. These are lifesavers and can be switched into whatever shoes I put on. With all the walking done here, I am so thankful I threw these in.

Lint roller. Turns out my host family has two cats that love my room, so it is a good thing I brought one of these.

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit. No need for the giant converter when I can just slip a different piece onto my current charger for either my laptop or my phone.

Travel journal. I do and see so much, it is hard to remember what I did yesterday, let alone a few weeks ago. I will need these written explanations to later describe the hundreds of photos I have taken, plus it is nice to have a place to collect bits of information I learn from my host family.

Travel size toiletries. Get the travel size bottle set from Walgreens that comes with its own bag, and fill the bottles before you leave. When you arrive, it will take you no time at all to pack for those weekend getaways.

Cold medicine. The last thing you will want to do when you become sick is walk to a pharmacy (probably in the rain) and try to find the medicine you need, in a different language. When I had a cold, I took some of the medicine I had brought from the US and opted to not deal with translating the dosage, etc. I wanted to know exactly how long I would be knocked out for because I had things to go see the next day!

Vitamins. Entering into a new culture, all you want to do is try new foods and it is difficult to keep track of what nutrients you are missing. Take your vitamins every day and hopefully avoid having to use the aforementioned medicine.

Hand sanitizer. Because, the metro.

Wrinkle releaser spray. When you pull your blouses out of those vacuum sealed bags, you will not even recognize them.

Laundry bag. I know people who have to commute and navigate seven flights of stairs just to go do laundry. Bring a sturdy, easy to handle bag that isn't bulky. If your host family has a washer at home like mine does, they will not also have a dryer. Again, wrinkle releaser will come in handy here.

Scarves and layers. For when you wear that shirt twice in a row, because the French wear everything multiple times between washes. Plus you never know what the weather will be like by midday, and by then you are too far from home to run home and change. The French do not change clothes multiple times a day like Americans are known to anyway.

Neutral-colored undergarments. Bring a convertible bra in nude, white, and black. When you buy that new dress, you should not have to worry about going to buy a new bra to wear with it; bring something that will work with all your clothes. And then by the end of this semester, my undergarments will be so worn and washed that I will probably just throw them out.

Wristwatch. Even if you are not a watch-wearer, you will become one.


No comments:

Post a Comment